Introduction to DevOps
Wikipedia defines DevOps as "a culture, movement or practice that emphasizes the collaboration and communication of both software developers and other information-technology (IT) professionals while automating the process of software delivery and infrastructure changes."
DevOps aims to establish a culture and environment where building, testing, and releasing software can happen rapidly, frequently, and more reliably, and is sweeping though the IT community at a startling pace. And yet paradoxically it is a movement which resists codifying itself, making it hard to get a clear understanding of what it is and what it means.
Despite widespread international interest and adoption, consensus on DevOps best practice is still emerging, and some areas are fiercely debated. Nevertheless certain fundamentals are clear and the movement rests on well honed principles. And the results are impressive. Organisations ranging from leading-edge technology "unicorns" to corporate legacy "horses" are seeing acceleration of the time to value as they optimise the flow through IT from concept to production.
Potentially DevOps transforms every aspect of the IT organisation from people to practices to tooling, though like any major shift in thinking it can be adopted progressively without radical revolution, implementing aspects that best suit your organisation at this point in time while providing a pole star to aim for in strategy.
What the course covers
This course will look at:
- What DevOps is and how it works.
- What Devops is doing for organisations around the world.
- How it transforms traditional IT thinking.
- What idealised DevOps looks like.
- How to approach it in a typical IT organisation.
- Where to find out more.
The course will be lecture style with questions and discussion throughout. Bring war stories.
What you will learn
At the end of the course attendees will:
- Be familiar with the principles of DevOps.
- Realise the foundations on which DevOps is built.
- Understand the distinctive jargon of DevOps.
- Have some starting points and landmarks for a DevOps journey.
- Be aware of some of the pitfalls.
- Be enthused to learn more about DevOps.
Who is this workshop for?
The target audience is:
- IT managers needing to transform for greater IT agility.
- Agile developers wanting to extend your capabilities.
- IT professionals who want to understand the potential impact of DevOps on their own careers (especially if you work in any non-development area of IT).
- Anyone wondering what this DevOps thing is that everybody seems to be talking about.
Rob England, B.Sc. CITPNZ MIITP, is a self-employed IT commentator and consultant. He consults in New Zealand on IT governance, management, and processes. Internationally, he is best known for his blog "The IT Skeptic" and half a dozen books on IT, and he speaks widely at conferences and online.
Rob was the NZ IT Service Management Champion for 2010 and he is an acknowledged contributor to ITIL 2011. Rob is New Zealand's only certified DevOps Foundation instructor.
You can register for this event via Credit Card online now by using the link below, or alternatively call 0800 252 255 with your Credit Card details.
IITP Corporate Partners and approved organisations can opt to pay by invoice by calling 0800 252 255 or emailing attendee and business details through to firstname.lastname@example.org. Credit criteria and other conditions apply.
No courses are currently scheduled
Indicative cost for public workshops. Please contact us for in-house pricing
|ITP Financial Members||$256.52 + GST / $295.00 incl GST|
|Staff of Corporate Partners (20% Discount)||$303.48 + GST / $349.00 incl GST|
|Non-Members||$379.13 + GST / $436.00 incl GST|
This is an indicative cost only. Actual cost will be confirmed with you. Minimum numbers and other conditions apply.