Business case essentials
How are decisions made in your organisation? Are there projects that get started, but nobody is sure why? And are there projects that never seem to deliver the value everyone seems to expect? Are business cases a decision making document, or just a way of getting budget approved?
The ability to define and describe an idea, and get support for taking action, is the primary purpose of a business case. But in many cases, this is overlooked. Often the business case is a justification of a decision made long ago, for uncertain reasons.
The ability to create business cases that aid decision making is a skill all IT professionals need, and a critical factor in the success of any business. Knowing what to expect in a business case allows IT leaders to be credible in the eyes of business colleagues.
This half day workshop is designed for IT leaders who want to improve the value they deliver to their organisation. The course covers the features of a good business case, and how to work with stakeholders to create a business case that works.
The workshop will use a participative approach using the materials for participants to produce their own business cases. Real world examples will be used from the experience that your trainer brings.
Duration: Half Day
This course covers the following:
- How are decisions made?
- How do business cases relate to the Governance process
- Why create business cases?
- What does "good" look like?
- How to understand the audience for your business case
- How to work with Finance
- Understanding business objectives
- Defining value in business terms
- Creating meaningful metrics
- Developing solution options
- Communicating effectively with decision makers
- How to avoid technical jargon in your business case
- Keeping the business case alive after its approved
- Realising benefits from the investment.
At the end of the course attendees will be able to:
- Understand the role of business cases in a good governance process
- Use the tools discussed to create business cases
- Understand the dynamics of decision making and be better able to navigate them
- Define business outcomes and benefits in business terms
- Create success measures
- Work better with stakeholders
- Describe how benefits realisation and business cases are related, and how to improve benefits realisation
IT Professionals, CIOs, Directors and Senior Executives, or Individuals wanting to reach those positions and needing a base-level understanding of the tools of IT Governance.
David Spaziani is an experienced senior manager with over 23 years in the IT industry. He is an experienced consultant, specialising in IT strategy and change.
David has held a number of senior roles covering both the client and vendor sides of the business, both in New Zealand and overseas. He has had significant experience in General Management to the CIO level, with a focus on strategy, change, customer satisfaction, IT delivery and financial management. He has particular experience working with and in the public sector on both sides of the Tasman.
David's key interest is in helping organisations get the best value for their investment in ICT. He has been involved in a large number of organisational change and business improvement programmes, and understands how to improve organisational performance.
He has worked with senior managers across a range of industries, consulting in the areas of strategic planning, organisational change, governance, enterprise architecture, and programme and project management.
You can register for this event via Credit Card online now by using the link below, or alternatively call 0800 252 255 with your Credit Card details.
ITP Corporate Partners and approved organisations can opt to pay by invoice by calling 0800 252 255 or emailing attendee and business details through to [email protected]. Credit criteria and other conditions apply.
No courses are currently scheduled
Indicative cost for public workshops. Please contact us for in-house pricing
|All ITP Financial Members||$300.00 + GST / $345.00 incl GST|
|Staff of Corporate Partners (20% Discount)||$344.35 + GST / $396.00 incl GST|
|Non-Members||$430.43 + GST / $495.00 incl GST|
This is an indicative cost only. Actual cost will be confirmed with you. Minimum numbers and other conditions apply.