How to be an Effective CIO
5 November 2021: 7:00 pm
Delivered live online with 2 face-to-face meetings. Includes some travel.
ITP's popular "How to be an Effective CIO" course is back for 2021.
This break-through course equips aspiring or new CIOs with the skills, knowledge and mindset needed to be effective.
The course is delivered primarily live online over a series of evenings, with the first and last sessions in-person.
With the full group coming together face-to-face twice and work undertaken in small teams, participants will draw on their own experiences and build a network of colleagues from across New Zealand.
Taught by CIOs, for new or aspiring CIOs
Delivered by CIOs and other experts, this course draws on deep experience and knowledge.
This is also a great course for any senior IT person who wants to understand what their CIO, senior management team or Directors are looking for when they make strategic IT investment decisions.
Overseen by course coordinator Simon Lloyd-Evans, a CIO with over 30 years' experience, each session will be delivered by an expert in each area.
This course is for aspiring or new CIOs or senior IT leaders who want to understand business led CIO thinking. It's perfect for people from all backgrounds.
There are no formal prerequisites per se, but it is strongly recommended that you have over 10 years IT experience with exposure to senior management, Executive and/or Board level reporting lines.
What you'll learn
More than anything else, this course will help you to think strategically, and equip you with the tools to succeed.
It will provides insight, methods and tools to help you become an effective thinker and leader in a senior IT role. Delivered in a concise and easily digestible format that is ideal for people moving from operational to strategic roles who do not necessarily have formal management training.
Assessment is pass/fail, based on successful completion of case study exercises, cohort group-based project and final Board presentation. As with the real world, success is determined by successful completion. Doing 50% of something is not a pass.
This course contributes to your CPD requirements for Chartered IT Professional or CTech certification.
Format of the Course
The first Orientation session is in-person in Wellington on the 5th August (12pm to 5pm). The last session is in-person in Auckland on the 3rd November (afternoon). You will need to arrange your own travel for these sessions.
All other sessions are instructor-led live online delivery every second week, Monday and Thursday evenings 6-9pm.
Session 1: Orientation
(Thurs 5th August, in-person in Wellington, 12-5pm)
- Meet in-person in Wellington
- Orientation, meet fellow students, course providers
- Overview of what will be covered
- Overview of projects, assign to cohorts
Session 2: Strategy
(Mon 16th August, live online 6-9pm)
- Actionable Strategy
- Leadership Challenges
- Business Challenges
- Managing Strategic Risk
- Strategy versus Strategic Plan
- Working with the executive and the board
Session 3: Personal Leadership
(Thurs 19th August, live online 6-9pm)
- Healthy Organisation
- Leadership Disciplines
- Leadership Styles
- Personal Leadership
- Emotional Intelligence
- Individual Behaviour
Session 4: Leading Teams
(Mon 30th August, live online 6-9pm)
- Team Definition
- Team Dysfunction
- Team Engineering
- Team Feedback
- Plain Language
Session 5: CIO Panel
(Thurs 2nd September, live online 6-9pm)
- 4 successful CIOs will share their own insights into success
- Panel facilitated by ITP CEO Paul Matthews
- (Plus project discussion with course presenters, agreement on project outcomes)
Session 6: Introduction to Change
(Mon 13th September, live online 6-9pm)
- Leadership Obstacles
- Leading Change
- Essential Controls
- Engaging Stakeholders
- Troubled Projects
Session 7: Successful Business Cases
(Thurs 16th September, live online 6-9pm)
- Conception of an idea to Business Case
- The role of business cases
- How to put together a compelling business case
- Defining value in business terms
- Realising benefits from the investment
- Budgeting and finance
Session 8: IT Governance in Practice
(Mon 27th September, live online 6-9pm)
- What is Governance and IT Governance?
- IT Governance Standards and its 6 Principles
- The role of the Information Systems Strategic Plan
- Assessing IT Governance Maturity
- Roles and skills required
- The Board IT Governance Checklist
- Dealing with ethical challenges
Session 9: Security
(Thurs 30th September, live online 6-9pm)
- Understanding Cyber posture
- Practical Cybersecurity Governance, Risk, and Compliance
- Security processes with direct links to ITIL/ITSM
- Cyber Risk Mapping technique
- Visibility to Observability
- Selling security investments to key stakeholders
Session 10: Developing Critical Influencing Skills for Better Outcomes
(Mon 11th October, live online 6-9pm)
- Influencing skills when responsible for better technology outcomes
- Understand communication styles
- Scenario-based approach to critical influence skills
- Influencing a group meeting
- Getting a team onside and focused on delivery
Session 11: Conflict management and Negotiation
(Thurs 14th October, live online 6-9pm)
- Sources of conflict
- Healthy vs unhealthy conflict
- Disagreeing without becoming disagreeable
- Generating alternatives so both parties' needs are met
- Deal making to engage others in a common way forward
- Common negotiation tactics
Session 12: Project presentations
(Weds 3rd November, Auckland, 1-5pm)
- Meet in Auckland
- Team project presentations to mock Board with all course participants present.
- Course summary
Course Coordinator, Simon Lloyd-Evans
Simon is a business strategist with an outcome focus that offers pragmatic governance with insightful critical and contextual advice, backed by over 30 years of real-world experience.
Simon has experience in a wide range of industries and sectors, including Health, Insurance, Government, Laboratory, Legal, Engineering, Building, Policing, Banking, Real Estate, Culture and Arts, Dispute Resolution, Non-profit and Retail. The last 20 years have seen Simon operating at the "C" level as CIO and Corporate Services Manager.
Simon has an engaging and insightful leadership style and has grown and led many high performing teams who understand their value and the contribution they make to the success of the organisation.
Simon runs a successful consulting business providing on demand independent systems and business advice to organisations on the strategic use of information. He supports organisations to make better business decisions by helping them to use systems that are fit for purpose and value for money.
You can register for this event via Credit Card online now by using the link below, or alternatively call 0800 252 255 with your Credit Card details.
ITP Corporate Partners and approved organisations can opt to pay by invoice by calling 0800 252 255 or emailing attendee and business details through to [email protected]. Credit criteria and other conditions apply.
This course is available for members and non-members at the cost as per below. Note that the rate for non-members also includes 12 months' ITP membership (to enable access to the ITP mentoring programme at the end of the course).
Travel / Accommodation costs for the 2 face-to-face sessions are responsibility of student.
|ITP Financial Members||$3,495.00 + GST / $4,019.25 incl GST|
|Non-Members||$3,695.00 + GST / $4,249.25 incl GST|