ITP Mentoring Programme
"Mentoring is a brain to pick, an ear to listen, and a push in the right direction."
-- John Crosby
The ITP Mentoring Programme is one of the best ways for IT professionals to get ahead in their professional career.
Whether as a Mentee, gaining the experience and guidance of a professional who has been there before, or as a Mentor, contributing to the development of others, participating in the programme is hugely rewarding!
What is Mentoring?
A Mentor is a professional who undertakes an active interest in the career development of what is often (but not always) a younger or perhaps less experienced individual in the same profession.
It's important to differentiate Mentoring from Coaching - Mentors do not attempt to advise Mentees directly, but should assist their Mentees to come to their own conclusions as to how best achieve their goals.
Mentoring works, and many successful individuals have attributed much of their success to being mentored, becomming an integral component of their professional development and growth.
The ITP Mentoring Programme
The ITP Mentoring Programme is built around professional development or career-focused mentoring - helping IT professionals set clear career goals and objectives, understand that they have the ability to achieve these, and putting in place a plan to do it.
The programme matches Mentors and Mentees, provides guidance and support for Mentors, and helps manage the mentoring relationship over time.
Who is the ITP Mentoring Programme for?
Mentoring gives you the tools to get ahead, and the ITP Mentoring Programme has been designed from the ground up to advance the career and development of IT professionals.
- Assist to identify new areas for professional development and growth
- Be a way to gain new insights and knowledge about the profession
- Help clarify your career direction
- Provide regular and constructive feedback
- Provide access to professional support and networking opportunities
- Bring satisfaction from contributing to the development of others
- Help develop mentoring and leadership skills
- Bring opportunities to reflect upon and articulate your role
What is the commitment?
The responsibilities of both parties in the programme are
- Decide on the goals of the individual relationship
- Meet once a month, or as agreed - and at least 10 times during the 12 month programme
- Decide how contact will occur. For example, face-to-face meetings, phone, or video call
- Keep the agreed contact commitment
- Respect confidentiality
Where the programme operates
The ITP Mentoring Programme is available to members everywhere in a videocall format.
We also recommend face-to-face mentoring in all areas ITP has branches:
- Palmerston North
- Everywhere else (via videocalling)
What does it cost?
As an ITP member, there is absolutely no cost to take part in the programme, other than a commitment of time.
All ITP members are eligible, except those on a concession (eg the student membership). Separate opportunities are being identified for our student members.
The full Mentoring Guide is provided free for those participating in the programme
Find out more about being mentored.
Find out more about mentoring others.
Or just sign up now!