Understanding IT Governance
This event is not currently active.
Also available on demand or in-house. Details
IT Governance is focused on the leadership, structures and processes that ensure that an organisation's information technology sustains and extends the overall organisation's strategies and objectives.
This workshop looks at IT Governance from the perspective of both IT Professionals and Directors.
The role of the Board and CEO is to provide strategic direction, ensure that objectives are achieved, ascertain that risks are managed appropriately and verifying that the enterprise's resources are used responsibly. The Board and senior executives therefore have a responsibility for IT Governance as part of Corporate Governance. People, systems and processes assist an organisation to meet these responsibilities.
This half day workshop is an introduction to the fundamentals of IT Governance, its relationship with Corporate Governance and its relevance in developing and sustaining organisations in the private and public sector.
The workshop will use a participative approach using case study material. Real world examples will be used from the real-world experience that your trainer brings. We will provide you with course notes, guides, templates and checklists as well as references for further reading.
Duration: Half day
The workshop covers the following:
- What is Governance and IT Governance?
- Why do we need IT Governance?
- The Delivery of Value
- Risk and Security
- An introduction to ISO/IEC 38500 - The IT Governance Standard and its 6 Principles
- The role of the Information Systems Strategic Plan
- Business Case Considerations
- How do you assess your IT Governance Maturity?
- Based on the Standard and Governance Best Practice:
- Discussion of the role of the Board, and responsibilities of executive management and the CIO
- The IT Governance or Technology Committee
- The role of external advisors if required
- Skills required of CIOs, CEOs and Board members
- Ensuring the flow of relevant information to the Board
- Discussion on different ways of structuring IT
- Examples of current business/IT alignment and governance models and standards and how they assist the Board in its role.
- The Board IT Governance Checklist
At the end of the course attendees will be able to:
- Define IT Governance and its relationship to Corporate Governance
- Assess the maturity of IT governance in their organisation at a basic level
- Describe the three pillars for effective IT Governance
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of the Board, IT Strategy Committee, CEO, Business Executives and CIO for IT Governance
- Describe the role of the Information Systems Strategic Plan
- Discuss Business Case considerations for IT Projects
- Understand the use of a Board IT Governance Checklist to uncover issues
- IT Professionals, CEOs, Directors and Senior Executives, or
- Individuals wanting to reach those positions and needing a base-level understanding of IT Governance
Note: This course is for both IT professionals with limited governance experience and Directors with limited IT experience. One of the key advantages is looking at issues as a group, with both perspectives in the room.
About The Trainer
Murray Wills aka "the Virtual CIO" is Principal Consultant and Managing Director of Maxsys Limited. Murray brings extensive hands on experience as a consultant / advisor to government agencies and private sector organisations where he advises Boards, CEO's and CIO's in IT Strategy, Management, Project Management and Governance. He is a Virtual CIO to several Government and non-Government organisations. He is regularly called upon to train board members in IT/Digital Governance.
Among other qualifications Murray has a Master's Degree in Business Studies from Massey University majoring in Information Systems with distinction.
Murray is a member of several Boards and along with being a Member of the Institute of IT Professionals and an Chartered IT Professional (CITP), he is a Chartered Member of the Institute of Directors (CMInstD), Certified Management Consultant (CMC), and a Better Business Cases (BBC) Trainer. He is also a member of the ITP Accreditations Board, IT Governance Taskforce Chairman, and Chief Visit Manager for Seoul Accord degree Accreditations at NZ tertiary institutions.
You can register for this event via Credit Card online now by using the link below, or alternatively call 0800 252 255 with your Credit Card details.
IITP Corporate Partners and approved organisations can opt to pay by invoice by calling 0800 252 255 or emailing attendee and business details through to firstname.lastname@example.org. Credit criteria and other conditions apply.
Want to run it at another time or place, or in-house?
Can't attend at the scheduled time, would like it in another city or want to enquire about running it in-house? No problem!
|ITP Financial Members||$256.52 + GST / $295.00 incl GST|
|Staff of Corporate Partners (20% Discount)||$303.48 + GST / $349.00 incl GST|
|Non-Members||$379.13 + GST / $436.00 incl GST|